Tuesday, March 06, 2012

One Spiced Up Tart

I found a giant bag of Krusteaz sugar cookie mix at costco that only cost $5. I thought I'd try it with some of the recipes online that call for sugar cookie mix. I made Betty Crocker's apple cheddar-n-spice cookie tart yesterday
You'll have to pardon the foil. The missing springform pans have yet to rematerialize, so I lined a regular pan all the way around with foil to make sure I could get that sucker out of there after baking. For the crust, the only modification I made was to leave out the cardamom, since I didn't have any. I improvised a lot on the filling.
  • 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
  • 5 oz raisins
  • 5 oz sweetened dried cranberries
  • 6 T brown sugar
  • 3 T all purpose flour
The resulting tart was really good. Next time, I'd halve the brown sugar, since the Craisins weren't as tart as I thought they'd be. I think the nice thing about this is that it's a great way of using up whatever fresh or dried fruit is sprouting mold or gathering dust in your kitchen. It's like a fruit crisp, only with a fancy schmancy crust that you didn't have to work very hard to make.

No comments: