Thursday, February 09, 2006

Baby Steps

The blue baby sweater has a collar and buttons:


It just needs to be blocked. The pattern was a little vague on the neck/button band. It went something like "pick up approx. 120 stitches, knit, make button holes and bind off." Does that mean garter stitch?? Do the holes go right up to the cast off edge?? I wasn't really sure, but the photo looked like the band was in rib, so I guessed rib and sort of improvised. I really should have picked up more stitches, since 1x1 rib makes such a compact fabric. Oh well..it's a little sloppy-looking, but good enough.

Still no head on the rabbit, but I've started the brim for the Kersti Hat. And I've also started another baby pullover, only this time one size larger (3-6 months) and with crazy bright yarn. I've got the front and back going at the same time:


I found some matching sparkly buttons at Michaels, which I can't wait to sew on. Yay, sparkles!

And now, to prove my decent into lunacy, I've joined the Knitting Olympics. I will try to make a ribbed sweater in 16 days. I've never made an adult-sized sweater before, let alone with any time pressure, hence the Olympic-nature of this feat, at least for me. I've decided to knit for the beleaguered (and imaginary) nation of Petoria. I would have knit for the Grand Duchy of Robonia, in honor of the spunky fembot Coilette:

but sadly they only take machine knitters :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I'll be competing on the lace team, attempting to bring in the gold on Ene's Scarf from Scarf Style!

Woo-Hoo!!