Monday, May 11, 2009

Bunny Ears

I went to Sheep and Wool and showed remarkable restraint. My stash is now only a few skeins of sock yarn and a bit of silk plumper than it was before. Perhaps I was destracted from fiber buying by some incredible cuteness: I could really use ears like that. I've been house sitting, and I don't think I have ever appreciated paid TV as much as I do right now. I will give my FiOS DVR many smooches when I get home.

Not that I'm totally without entertainment. These are my two victims, er...I mean charges:
They're a sister and brother duo with very different personalities, though I cough at both of their furry sheddings equally.

I finished the yellow striped socks and gave them to my beloved smother for Smother's Day:

As I said last time, I sent a complaint to Coats and Clark about the badly dyed sections I found in this color, and also in the Razzle Dazzle color way from these socks, and wonder of wonders, they replied! They said they would send me replacement yarn for the inconvenience, which is a nice response. Their explanation for the problem was a little weird though. They said the self-patterning dyeing process wasn't always consistent. I've used other brands of self-patterning yarns and have found them to be very consistent. As long as you start in the same part of the color repeat for each sock, you'll get pretty much identical socks (or whatever it is you're knitting). Is their dyeing process different from other manufacturers? Is it a quality control problem? I dunno, but I do know from experience with other yarns that consistent machine-dyed self-patterning yarns are very possible, and I don't think it's too much to expect that kind of consistency. Also, the Coats people wanted me to send them samples of the leftovers, which I will. If I hear back, I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Jinann said...

Wow...restraint? Unheard of! LOL....I was fairly restrained, except for Tilli Thomas yarns (yummy!) and some "Socks that Rock" mill ends.....bonus!