Wednesday, December 31, 2008

One Foot at a Time

I've been learning to ice skate. It's been a real slog. I am the first to admit that I'm a craptastically bad skater. It took weeks and weeks before I could cross the (short!) side of the rink without having a major psychological meltdown. I normally shun all unnecessary physical activities, particularly risky ones. Oh, and did I mention my feet are always either completely frozen or in total agony?

So my choice of activity doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Even with all that though, for whatever reason, I really like skating. Let's see, what are its good points...It's cold, and I really like the cold. There's a rink near my house, at least in the winter time. I get to watch them Zamboni by moonlight at the Sculpture Garden Ice Rink.
Well, I guess I could watch that even if I weren't skating. But then I'd probably miss out on the Santa-driven zamboni at the indoor rink.

Maybe it's a process thing, all the little steps and the repetition. It's like knitting, only way, way, way more painful. There's a lot less falling down and getting up with knitting. As I mentioned last post, the first knee high is done, and I'm none the worse for wear for it. Here's a more complete photo, to show its ginormousness:
Sorry for the Weldon's-like fold. I couldn't get it to fit in the shot neatly and still have some detail left in the picture. The second no purl monkey is also half done.
One bruised foot at a time.

2 comments:

Jinann said...

Cool Socks!

As for the ice skating, I did it quite a bit as a kid, but as an adult...oh, my. I don't even want to discuss it! LOL!

Happy New Year!

Nicole said...

I love ice skating, makes me feel like a kid again (since I grew up in Canada). There's a rink out in Del Ray that's nice.