Saturday, June 11, 2005

Summer in the City

How can I tell that it's June in DC?
1). There's Shakespeare in the woods: I went with my brother and three members of his extensive network of friends to see A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Shakespeare Free-for-All. It was a great show and, since it was a lovely day, the ampitheater was full. It didn't rain, though it looked like it might. That certainly makes up for last year, when it rained the whole evening we were there (and promptly stopped during the last scene). I had never watched or read the play before (odd, since it's so common), and it was a lovely introduction to the story. I'd have posted pictures, but photography wasn't allowed.
2). The backyard is absolutely full of roses. I swear this bush is the only thing holding up our aging deck:

There's also lots of mysterious vegetation, like this gigantic lamb's ear-like (in texture, not in size) plant:

It's about 5 feet tall and seems very happy where it is. That's cool, as long as it doesn't start talking and eating people.
Also, I got a new toy:

I love 50% off coupons! They take some of the guilt out of shopping. I've been getting home late after work, so I've only done a little knitting, mostly while in transit (I know, I know...excuses, excuses). I'm about halfway through even more scarves: another loopy and a latifa variation (both knitty.com patterns).

And I did start my shawl for the Knit the Classics KAL, though I've only gotten through one repeat so far. It's lacy with thickish yarn on largish needles. Here's a close-up:

It doesn't look like much right now. I hope I'm following the pattern correctly...Well, I've got my fingers crossed and my row counter ready!

No comments: