Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Good Side

I was going to see a movie on Saturday night, but stayed home and tried a cake recipe out instead. Such are my priorities, make of it what you will. This is Kraft's "Gram's Best Brown Sugar Cake:"
This recipe is basically a yellow cake mix dolled up with pudding mix, sour cream, brown sugar and pecans. It really is a snap to mix up. I used a large 12x3 round because all my bundt-like pans disappeared on me. Considering the size of the pan, I really should have taken the time to line the bottom with parchment paper. But of course I skipped that step, so getting the cake out of the pan was an unnecessarily painful affair. The result:
Not so pretty. But hey that's the underside anyway :P It's still got a good side on top, right? The cream cheese frosting came from this recipe, with the modifications from Paddybog's comment. I forgot I was out of powdered sugar, so I had to make some in the blender. Yes, it can be done! I don't think I processed it quite enough, so it wasn't as fine as commercial powdered sugar. The icing came out pretty well though, if a bit sweet.

No comments: