Saturday, January 07, 2012

Oooey Gooey


I tried out a new recipe for s'more bars. I first saw this last month on the Betty Crocker website. As much as I love s'mores (and I do!), I didn't try them right away because I didn't want to use a sugar cookie mix. I'm not against mixes. I am however very cheap and I'm not going to spend money on a mix when I already have the ingredients contained in the mix at home, bought for much less (per unit, at least).

So today I got around to merging the s'more bar recipe with a sugar cookie recipe. Appropriately enough, I used the cookie recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook (mine's from the mid 1980's), so it's pretty much still an all-Betty recipe. I think they came out nicely:

Here's the modified crust recipe I used:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup butter, melted
Combine dry ingredients. Add melted butter. Press into pan and dock (this may not be necessary, but I didn't want it too puffy). The rest of the recipe's the same. I guess you could substitute 2 teaspoons of baking powder for the cream of tartar, or perhaps just one teaspoon would yield an unpuffy crust without docking.

And finally, a semi decent photo of the formerly unphotographable sock.

No comments: