Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ugly but Good

I tried my hand at a chocolate flan. I tried this but it came out rather pale and tasted only mildly of chocolate. So mom and I tinkered with it to make it a little richer and chocolaty-er. The result certainly wasn't pretty (I omitted the caramel, so it unmolded in two pieces), but it was unmistakably chocolate.
Maybe a bit more tinkering will yield a smoother, creamier texture, but this modified recipe's not too shabby so far:

Chocolate Flan
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 c. whole milk
  • 1/2 c. sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 c. evaporated milk
  • 2 Tbsp. strong coffee
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Whisk eggs and yolk together to combine. Add enough liquid (water, milk, coffee, whatever) to the cocoa so that it forms a paste. In a saucepan, heat 3 kinds of milk together until almost simmering. Add cocoa paste and chocolate chips and stir until chocolates are thoroughly dissolved. Temper egg mixture with a bit of hot milk mixture. Pour remainder of milk mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Strain mixture into baking dish. Bake in water bath or cook in steamer for 55 min.

I've been quite unproductive on the knitting front, for no particular reason. I did manage another little hat:


No comments: