Saturday, May 06, 2006

Sheepy sheepy sheep sheep

...and wool!

I knew Saturday was going to be a good day when I woke up to find my Secret Pal 8 assignment in my inbox. Hooray! Just in time for Sheep and Wool! Mom, Dee and I went early, and good thing too, since I was on a mission to fill up my new ginormous felted bag.


I made it with 6 skeins (sheesh, it took forever!) of Cascade 220, and a teensy bit of leftover Bernat Matrix ladder yarn. It was a whopping 46"x29" pre-felting. I was a little nervous that it wouldn't shrink enough and I'd end up with a ridiculously oversized felted sack. But it turned out well enough in the end to take it outdoor yarn shopping!

It was a beautiful day: warm sunshine, cool breeze, a great crowd and lots of farm sights, sounds and smells :). We met lots of critters, ate some naughty food (I managed to veer away from the fried twinkies):

and oh yeah, I bought some yarn! Here's the loot:

1. Metal Handloom - it came with loops for potholders:
Interesting, but I've got other ideas, like maybe a little scrap-yarn-busting.

2. 1 skein wool/mohair blend from YOUTH Program. I like the colorway and the cause, too.

3. handknit fingerless gloves from YOUTH. They fit my smallish hands nicely and were a good deal at $15. Now, I just have to wait for winter, or maybe I could hang out in the veggie freezer at Costco.

4. 2 skeins worsted weight wool from Catoctin Creek Farm (no colorway names)

5. 338 yds of brushed mohair in color "Plums" from Kid Hollow Farms. I bought brushed mohair from them last year. It's really lovely stuff.

6. 57 yds of feathery (yes, real feathers!) novelty yarn from the Cloverhill Yarn Shop.

The other two purchases are destined to be gifted (look out, SP8 spoilee!) so they are under wraps.

On the way home, a bit of nostalgia (with more extra-fatty calories):
I didn't know there were any High's Dairy stores left in Maryland. There used to be a bunch around Hyattsville, where we lived for a while, but they faded away and disappeared. This one was attached to a Citgo and was kinda 7-Eleven like, but still, they had hand-dipped ice cream. Yummy!

That's all I can think of for now. I've still got a bit of a yarn hangover. I swear, I don't even remember going to bed last night. But I woke up surrounded by yarn, so all is well.

1 comment:

Nic said...

Wool AND ice cream. I dont think a day can get any better. /nic SP8